Very little attention is given to African American health issues. This portion of our website is committed to changing this. Maybe you or someone you know has recently been diagnosed with one of the major causes of disability in the African American community:
- Diabetes Complications
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Heart Disease
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol Levels
- Sickle Cell Disease
Maybe your family has a history in one of these areas and you want to see if you can take steps today to improve your health and reduce your risk.
This section is designed to equip you with practical information and effective strategies to help you take control of your health! Solid information that can make a positive difference in your overall health and wellness!
Let Us Help You Regain A Normal Life!
If you examine each of the 7 major disabilities listed above for the African American community you will see one common denominator to all of them. It is your cardiovascular system!
The health of your cardiovascular system, and more specifically the health of your endothelial cells and their ability to properly produce nitric oxide, is in large part the determining factor for your overall health and wellness. This applies to all population groups but it’s even more critical to African Americans.
Because of a genetic polymorphism that is common to the African American community. African Americans carry an enzyme called arginase at higher levels in their bloodstream than any other population group. Arginase destroys L-arginine which the endothelial cells need to create nitric oxide.
Nitric oxide is the master signaling molecule of the cardiovascular system. It helps to moderate blood pressure, blood flow, and many other important cardiovascular functions. Lack of nitric oxide allows for greater oxidative stress which then damages the endothelial cells and their ability to properly produce nitric oxide.
This creates a compounding effect resulting in higher incidences of diabetes complications, heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, heart attacks, strokes, erectile dysfunction, pulmonary artery disease, blindness, and complications from sickle cell anemia. All significant health issues in the African American community.
Knowledge is the Precursor to Prevention!
As Dr. C. Everett Koop, former Surgeon General of the United States, said, “The best prescription is knowledge.” I want to give you that knowledge to empower you to take charge of your overall health and wellness. In fact, let me share with you one powerful concept! It comes from an article out of Parade Magazine.
March 18, 2007
Article by Dr. Henry S. Lodge
“Your body is made up of trillions of cells that live mostly for a few weeks or months, die and are replaced by new cells in an endless cycle. For example, your taste buds live only a few hours, white blood cells live 10 days, and your muscle cells live about three months.
A few key stem cells in each organ and your brain cells are the only ones that stick around for the duration. All of your other cells are in a constant state of renewal.
You replace about 1% of your cells every day. That means 1% of your body is brand-new today, and you will get another 1% tomorrow. Think of it as getting a whole, new body every three months. It’s not entirely accurate, but it’s pretty close.”
Dr. Henry S. Lodge made a profound observation. What Dr. Lodge observed and what he is saying to you is:
You Have a New Body Every Three Months!
The question is will that body be decaying or growing. You have control over the process.
You choose whether those new cells will be nourished properly or poorly.
You choose whether you will have healthy and vibrant cells that act young, or sickly and sedentary cells that act old.
You can no longer put the care of your body in the hands of others. You and your choices are the keys to developing a successful wellness strategy. My goal is to give you practical things that you can do today to begin the process of properly nourishing your cells so that they can work optimally rather than poorly.
Articles for Improving the Health of African Americans!
These articles are specifically written to address the health challenges within the African American community.
- African Americans and Cardiovascular Disease! One reason why cardiovascular disease is so prevalent for African Americans is an enzyme arginase which destroys L-arginine to limit the endothelial cells and their ability to produce nitric oxide.
- Nitric Oxide and Sickle Cell Anemia! Recent research shows that Nitric Oxide may help to prevent and lessen the pain associated with sickle cell anemia.
- African Americans and Sickle Cell Anemia! It is estimated that one in 12 African Americans has sickle cell trait and one out of every 400 births have sickle cell anemia. This article will address this important African American health issue.
- Sickle Cell Disease – 14 Helpful Steps! This article provides 14 helpful steps for those suffering from sickle cell disease.
- African Americans and Stroke! Did you know that 80% of strokes are preventable! This article will lay the ground work for why you have the power to reduce this enormous risk to the African American community!
- African Americans and Healthy Weight Management! The most recent statistics show that over half of the US population is either overweight or obese. Unfortunately, this unhealthy weight trend is even more pronounced in the African American community.
General Articles for Improving the Cardiovascular System!
These articles apply to all population groups and are designed to help educate you on how you can effectively improve the health of your cardiovascular system.
- Cholesterol: Good and Bad – What’s it All Mean? Understanding cholesterol levels and how your LDL and HDL cholesterol affects the endothelial cells is important for nitric oxide production and cardiovascular health.
- Cholesterol and Statin Drugs: Happily Married or Headed for Divorce? Cholesterol has become the enemy of the cardiovascular system and statin drugs the answer but is this really the best way to effectively fight this problem.
- Nitric Oxide and Cholesterol! While nitric oxide doesn’t prevent the production of cholesterol it does help statin drugs work more effectively which can help to lower medication needs or eliminate them completely.
- Fiber and Cholesterol Reduction! Learn three simple steps on how to use fiber as an effective alternative to statin drugs for cholesterol reduction.
- Fiber, Cholesterol, and Other Health Benefits! Please use this fiber list as a general guide in helping you find foods and food groups that appeal to you and can significantly reduce your risk for heart disease, stroke, diabetes and cancer.
- Niacin and Cholesterol Reduction! The relationship between niacin and cholesterol has over 50 years of clinical research to show how niacin can substantially increase HDL “Good” cholesterol while lowering LDL “Bad” cholesterol to facilitate cholesterol reduction.
- Endothelial Cells: The Real Heart of Cardiovascular Health! More and more research is showing that the health of your endothelial cells is critical to the health of your heart, arteries, veins and most all of your organs.
- Endothelial Cells and Heart Disease! Once considered to be simple, one-celled structures with little to no functional role, the endothelial cells have proven to be extremely complex biological structures that play critical roles in the health of your circulatory system.
- Added Sugar and Heart Disease – Is There a Link? New guidelines regarding added sugar consumption were recently issued by the AHA and could positively impact heart disease.
- Aspirin or Nitric Oxide: Which is Better for Reducing the Risk of Blood Clots? A new study highlights the risk of bleeding from aspirin. However, the proper repair and support of the endothelial cells to produce nitric oxide can naturally prevent blood clots.
- High Desert Heart Institute Study! This page collects much of the current information about the High Desert Heart Institute Study featuring ProArgi-9 Plus and how it positively impacted the health of 33 congestive heart failure patients.
- Cure for Hot Flashes! Certain natural remedies can be a cure for hot flashes and menopausal symptoms as well as a benefit for cardiovascular health.
- Nitric Oxide and Diabetes! Nitric Oxide plays a critical role in helping to prevent and reverse many of the complications of diabetes.
- Nitric Oxide and Blood Pressure! Nitric Oxide plays a critical role in helping your body maintain a normal blood pressure.
- Nitric Oxide and Erectile Dysfunction! Nitric Oxide plays a central role in erectile dysfunction which can also be an early warning sign for diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Dr. Louis Ignarro – Nobel Prize Laureate This three part video shares Dr. Louis Ignarro’s passionate belief that Nitric Oxide can both prevent as well as reverse cardiovascular disease.
When you click on any one of the above articles they will also link you to other outstanding articles. All are designed to help educate and equip you with practical information and effective strategies so that you and/or a loved one can begin the journey to better health.
I would invite you to Bookmark this page!
As I add articles addressing African American health issues, I will list them on this page. I want you to have access the latest information so that prevention can be part of your wellness program. Prevention is taking the steps before hand to prevent something from occurring.
For example, 370,000 American women die each year of coronary heart disease. African American women in the age range of 25-44 have a 2.5 times greater risk of coronary heart disease than Caucasian women! Both groups have the ability to reduce their risks, but African American women can enjoy the greatest benefit because they are also at the greatest risk.
Best Cardiovascular Product for Prevention!
There are many good nutritional supplements in the marketplace. The one that I feel that best addresses the cardiovascular system is ProArgi-9 Plus. It incorporates Nobel Prize winning science, cutting edge vascular research, and 15 plus years of actual clinical experience to help properly support the endothelial cells and their ability to produce nitric oxide.
ProArgi-9 Plus properly balances L-arginine and L-citrulline, with other heart healthy ingredients, to significantly improve the health of the endothelial cells and their ability to properly produce nitric oxide. This is especially important for African Americans who have larger than normal amounts of the enzyme arginase in their bloodstream. The additional L-arginine helps to offset the effects of the arginase enzyme, and L-citrulline can bypass the arginase enzyme as a secondary way for the body to produce L-arginine for nitric oxide production.
The most recent validation for ProArgi-9 Plus is the remarkable results obtain for 33 congestive heart failure patients in the High Desert Heart Institute study.
Click here for more information about ProArgi-9 Plus.
Please join me in taking the steps necessary to address African American health issues to make a significant contribution to our community. Please feel free to share this information with others.
Together we can work to save a million lives!